What are the benefits of the LunarG Vulkan SDK?
The SDK offers a number of advantages:
- Vulkan, by design, is a very low-level API that provides applications direct control over GPU acceleration with minimized CPU overhead and efficient multi-threaded performance. The SDK provides tools to help you develop to this lower level API.
- The SDK is available for Linux and Windows® operating systems. Because Vulkan is a direct competitor of Microsoft® DirectX12®, Microsoft will not offer Vulkan developer tools for Windows. The SDK provides comprehensive tools for both Linux and Windows operating systems.
- The SDK also offers support for macOS and enables developers to build, run, and debug their Vulkan applications on the Apple Mac platform. The LunarG SDK for macOS provides loader and validation layers, which allow programmers to check their code for correct API usage. LunarG will continue to evolve the macOS SDK to add additional tools and features.
- Vulkan is a cross-platform API that supports a range of devices including desktop, mobile, and console. The Vulkan loader and validation layers are canonical pieces that are critical in achieving this cross-platform compatibility. These components are open source, and you can choose to build them. To speed development efforts, the SDK includes the loader and layers already built for you.
- Because Vulkan is a very low-level API, a simple program is much longer to write compared to OpenGL. The included utilities and samples help you learn the process.